Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Washington Post, July 8

Keith should take his cue from Lee Ann Womack, a country star who has recovered from her own compromises with cliches to release one of the best honky-tonk albums of the decade, "There's More Where That Came From." Womack, too, has misused one of the great country voices of our time, but on her new album she rescues a neglected country subgenre, the cheating song, and in mining its veins of guilt and pleasure rescues her own career as well.

Womack is the rare singer who can capture paradox in a four-minute single. She can confess a lingering lust for an ex-husband and at the same time acknowledge that "I May Hate Myself in the Morning." She can describe a husband confessing an affair over the kitchen sink and convey the subtle notion that his apology is too "Painless" to be believed. She can pray for God to "get this cheating off my mind" on the title track, but when she gets that inevitable phone call from her lover, she realizes her conscience is no match for her desire.

-- Geoffrey Himes

4 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! thats intense!! good post....

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LAWVE IT! LAWVE IT! LAWVE IT!

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Smartin271 said...

I suppose he was dissing Toby and his particular specialty of making popular music with a country voice? Isn't America wonderful.

All I know is what I like and am confused by the reasons why so many others don't agree. I'd like to think that my tastes are more discerning and that I'm somehow better than those other folk. But, I'm not a critic. ;-)

Yes, the LAW is my favorite and that is because of her talent and the person she truly seems to be. However, it's not because lots of other people agree with me and buy her stuff.

I, for instance, don't really care for Sugarland but they have a million unit debut album. So I ask, who's the one marching to the beat of a different drummer? In the same way, Toby sells and sells and sells. So, what's the measure of success here? Again, all I know is that I'm glad Lee Ann does what she does. I just wish more people were as smart as we all are. ;-)

 
At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LAWVE the review also. I agree with Smartin I not a Sugarland fan either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home