Thursday, August 04, 2005

We Interrupt Your Regularly Scheduled Blog....

....to talk for 2 minutes about one of my favorite bands. One of my favorite things about music, and working in music, is turning folks onto different music. I've spent WAY too much time in my life making mixed cds and mixed playlists for folks. Anyway, one of my favorite bands in the world is a band called Sigur Ros and they are from Iceland (like Bjork). Up until recently they were actually a labelmate of the LAW's (it all ties together somehow doesn't it?!) but were moved to Geffen Records after the pop branch of MCA folded into Universal. They are a super tough band to get into....the first time I heard them I thought it was the worst drivel I'd ever listened to. Now, I can only describe listening to their music as something of a spiritual experience. It's also the only time I've cried while watching a music video (the video for "Untitled 1" won MTV Europe's Video Of the Year two years ago). If you want to be adventurous in your music listening, give them a shot. I would recommend the ( ) album. The album has no name, the songs have no names (at least officially) and the lead singer sings in his own made up language. The artwork also came completely blank, leaving you the listener to come up with your own words, your own song titles and your own album title to whatever the music moved you to do. My favorite part about the album? The 30 second silence after Track 4 which pays homage to the days where you'd listen to vinyl and have to flip the record over to side b. The first "side" of the album is more mellow and then they crank thing up another notch on the second half. Enough gushing though eh? Thanks for letting me rave on about them a little bit, and if any of you happen to like it, I'd love to know.

Since I'm on an iTunes linking rampage, have any of you heard Lee Ann's duet with Willie called "I'll Never Be Free"? If not, check it out here. I never hear people mention it, so I thought I would. It's a great little honky tonk song. But then again, that's what Texans do best! From Iceland to Texas, music is the one universal thing that brings us all together. And there's nothing better.

4 Comments:

At 4:02 AM, Blogger Smartin271 said...

Although I can't hear the recommended music through the channels offered, I will be searching it out in other ways. However, I just want to say that I love the attitude with which it was stated. I fully believe that a broad background in all kinds of music helps one to appreciate the stuff you really like even more.
;-)

 
At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other musical genres make the world go round.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm willing to try anything new:)

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I downloaded "I'll Never Be Free" months back and I love the song. Willie and Lee Ann are really good duet partners and their voices on this song are so great. It's cool that Toby introduces Lee Ann in the beginning of the song. Def. recommended!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home