Monday, October 31, 2005

A True, Country Music Emergency

I knew it was going to happen at some point, but when? All of us in the office has identical laptops and carry them around like a third arm. I had even entertained the idea of getting some sort of holster made for my pants so that I could wear it like a six shooter. So when my laptop fell off a desk yesterday and crashed to the floor (hardwood floor at that), I should've seen it coming. Now, I feel like a lost little girl wandering through the forest. The very nice guys at the Apple store are telling me it is prognosis negative, but I'm going in again to get the final word. Worst part about it is? My life is on that computer. For those of you who spend a good deal of your day at the computer, think of the information that is on it. If they can't recover my drive I've lost over a year's worth of emails, databases, over 3,000 photos, hundreds of dollars worth of music, and other various work related files.

Moral of the story? Back your files up. I kept telling myself I needed to, and never did. Lesson learned the hard way. I feel like I've lost my best friend in the world. She was the smartest kid in school....always had the right answers for me when I needed them and rarely gave me attitude. Never has there been a truer country music emergency.

5 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry to read that Alison. I really hope your laptop is allright and didn't lose anything. That's terrible :o :(

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Smartin271 said...

I am so sorry to hear that, Alison. I will hopefully be teaching at an online university soon so ordered a new and vastly improved system myself. It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow, as a matter of fact. And yet, because it's for this added profession, my kids are stuck on the old one and they know full why. Oh well, best of luck getting everything back. I intend to back up often just from your experience.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Smartin271 said...

Thanks, Chris. I'm excited about the opportunity. It sounds as though yours was a little uncomfortable, though? What happened, if you don't mind sharing. Thanks.

Steve

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Smartin271 said...

Patricia, I really think it's just a matter of making an offline copy of something you want to keep safe on your computer. For instance, you would want to save a picture you have on your computer to a floppy disk so that it can be reloaded at a later time if your computer goes on the fritz.

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger Smartin271 said...

Welp, there's your answer. :-)

Thanks for the info, Chris. I'm positive I won't have so many. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home